A damp and wet basement is a bigger health hazard than most people realize. You might not think much of the humidity in the air or the musty smell, but those are warning signs. Should you do nothing, the walls, floor, foundation, and property will get damaged. You need to be more worried about the mold and mildew growth that will ensue.
When you leave the house in that state, your family shall start showing signs of respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. If you do not see anything strange in the basement, do not convince yourself it is safe, as long as it is damp. You get to be sure only after hiring a professional mold inspection and removal service.
Signs of mold you can see are a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. You can also tell when you detect a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. This is why you need to call in the experts to do the testing. You will get options once the test is done. It is better not to find any than to ignore the problem.
Mold testing will detect their presence, as well as point out how extensive their spread is, the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They will look all over the house and take amples They shall also collect some of the air to test for spores. This is done also in other parts of the house. They shall take all samples to the lab for analysis. This is how they shall generate a report of the issues you are going through.
You shall get mold removal services once they determine there is mold present in the house. They get to offer that service fast before things get out of hand. The first thing they do is seal off the contaminated areas. They will next spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. You will be asked to allow them to dispose of items that are too contaminated.
It is important to take steps to get rid of the mold in your house. You also need to make sure you put preventative measures in place, to avoid another growth. This calls for ensuring the basement is moisture free, and the house is well ventilated. Should you see any signs of mold in the house, do not hesitate to call in the professionals. You need to do so for the sake of your house.